Marketing a health and fitness club falls into two separate but related tasks; namely, recruitment and retention of members. Recruitment refers to inviting and getting people to join the club while retention has to do with making them stay. The following tips will help you market your health and fitness club so that you will realise your revenue and profit objectives.
- Clear targeting – It is important that you define clearly those you want to serve in the interest of precise messaging and response rate. If you send the right message to the right people at the right time, then they are more likely to answer you than otherwise. And the incidence of having the “wrong people” on your facility will be reduced.
- The facility itself – This is key because this is arena or platform where your service is delivered. It should be well-appointed relative to the target market. The equipment should be clean and functional and varied. Not only that, the whole environment should send out health and fitness signals.
- Your staff – Your clients would evaluate your club on the basis of the quality of interactions they have with your staff. Get in people with a service mentality. They should be professional, empathetic, enthusiastic, be prepared to take responsibility and go the proverbial extra mile to delight the customer.
- Your processes – How easy is it to join your club and access your services? The forms for extracting members’ information should complete but brief enough not to look like a tax form.
- Ancillary services – Remember that even a health and fitness club is a place for people to socialise and get some specialised education. You will enhance your members’ experience if you include a section for health foods and drinks as well as a library and bookshop stocking books and magazines on health and fitness topics. You can add variety by inviting experts to speak of vital health issues.
- Provide for untoward events – Things happen and things do go wrong. Therefore I suggest you have a first aid section manned by those who know what to do in an emergency.
Take these tips to heart and you should be able to recruit enough people into your health and fitness club, retain a high proportion of them and thereby lift the life time value of your members and hence your return on investment.